ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & AWARDS
Abstracts are invited from consultant and trainee surgeons, laparoscopic theatre staff and industry. The ALSGBI operates a paperless electronic abstract submission through Oxford Abstracts. Submission of previously accepted/presented work is also welcomed.
To submit an abstract please click here
Online submission is now open and CLOSES at midnight on Thursday 19 September 2019, DVDs need to be uploaded and emailed via WeTransfer by 19 September.
- You will be notified on Friday 27 September.
- Abstracts must consist of 5 paragraphs, making a total of 250 words maximum:
- Aims (50 words max)
- Methods (50 words max)
- Results (50 words max)
- Conclusion (50 words max)
- Key Statement (50 words max)
- Abstracts are to be submitted as text and tables ONLY (ie no figures, graphs or diagrams).
- The text must fit within the abstract template and use the Arial font in size 11.
- No more than 5 authors should be listed.
- The abstract is marked anonymously so the text should not refer to any institutional affiliation.
- An abstract must be submitted online in order to be considered for oral presentation, a poster or DVD.
- If your abstract is selected for poster presentation you must provide a pdf of your poster by Monday 4 November otherwise it WILL NOT be eligible for the 2019 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize.
- Papers should be a total of 7 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion afterwards.
- Abstracts that have been short-listed for the 2019 David Dunn Medal will be presented in the 2 Abstract Sessions on Friday 15 November.
- The winner of the best oral abstract will be presented with the 2019 David Dunn Medal and a cheque for £600, generously sponsored by the European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons (EAES), and must be an ALSGBI paid-up member to qualify for this prize.
- The announcement of the 2019 David Dunn Medal Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Friday 15 November.
- Those selected for oral presentation will automatically have their papers published in a supplement to the Surgical Endoscopy Journal.
- For the second placed oral presentation, Journal of Surgical Simulation will award a £250 publication voucher to cover the cost of publication if the work is submitted as a full length article to the Journal of Surgical Simulation (subject to peer review), or a cash prize of £150 if the article is not suitable for JSS, or there is an arrangement to publish elsewhere. The winner must be a paid-up member of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
- The presenters of the top eight Short Papers will be awarded prizes supported by the ALSGBI Trainee 2019 Scheme and ALSGBI Industry Partners of £150 each. The presenters must be ALSGBI paid-up trainee members to qualify for these prizes.
POSTER EXHIBITION & PRESENTATIONS:
The poster exhibition will take place from 08:30 on Thursday 14 November and all posters will be judged between 12:30 – 14:00 when the presenting authors MUST be in attendance by the TV monitors.
- The authors of the top two posters will be expected to give a 5 minute oral presentation between 13:50-14:00 on Friday 15 November. The results will be announced in the afternoon of Thursday 14 November and will also be available from 15:00 on 14 November at the Registration & Enquiries Desk. The winners must be fully paid-up members of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic poster will be awarded a cheque for £150. The announcement of the 2019 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony between 16:10 -16:20 on Friday 15 November. The winner must be a fully paid-up member of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
Your DVD must be submitted online, you will need to:
1) Obtain a compressed copy of the DVD in MPEG/MPG/MKV format
2) Go to the WeTransfer website at: https://wetransfer.com/
3) Upload the Video file
4) Enter the email address email@example.com to send the video files to.
5) Enter your email to send a notification
6) Enter a message that details what video file you are sending
- DVDs need to be uploaded and emailed by WeTransfer by 19 September.
- DVDs should be a total of 5 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion.
- Only in-house productions will be accepted and ‘voiceover’ is compulsory.
- DVDs that have been short-listed for the 2019 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize will be presented in the DVD Session on 15 November.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic DVD will be awarded a cheque for £250. The announcement of the 2019 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on 15 November. The winner must be a fully paid-up member of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
- You will be notified on 27 September if your abstract has been successful.
AUDIO VISUAL INFORMATION:
All presentations must be compiled using PowerPoint and an advance copy should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 4 November. Presentations must also be brought to the conference on a disk, USB stick or laptop.
All Presenters of papers, DVDs and posters must register for the conference by 4 November.
Contact us via
Tel: +44 (0)20 7869 6941
Tel: +44 (0)20 7869 6940
pending, size 300 x 172 medium