ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & AWARDS
Abstracts are invited from consultant and trainee surgeons, laparoscopic theatre staff and industry. The ALSGBI operates a paperless electronic abstract submission through Oxford Abstracts. Submission of previously accepted/presented work is also welcomed.
To submit an abstract please click here
Submission CLOSES at midnight on Monday 1 October 2018 and DVDs need to be uploaded and emailed via WeTransfer by 1 October.
- On-line abstract submission is now open and will close at midnight on Monday 1 October.
- You will be notified by Monday 15 October if your abstract has been successful.
- Submission of previously accepted/presented work also welcomed.
- Abstracts must consist of 5 paragraphs, making a total of 250 words maximum:
- Aims (50 words max)
- Methods (50 words max)
- Results (50 words max)
- Conclusion (50 words max)
- Key Statement (50 words max)
- Abstracts are to be submitted as text and tables ONLY (ie no figures, graphs or diagrams).
- The text must fit within the abstract template and use the Arial font in size 11.
- No more than 5 authors should be listed.
- The abstract is marked anonymously so the text should not refer to any institutional affiliation.
- An abstract must be submitted online in order to be considered for oral presentation, a poster or DVD.
- If you wish your abstract to be considered for poster presentation you must provide a pdf of your poster by Tuesday 27 November otherwise it will NOT be eligible for the 2018 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize.
- Papers should be a total of 7 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion afterwards.
- Abstracts that have been short-listed for the 2018 David Dunn Medal will be presented in the 2 Abstract Sessions on Thursday 6 December.
- The winner of the best oral abstract will be presented with the 2018 David Dunn Medal and a cheque for £600 generously sponsored by the European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons (EAES) and be an ALSGBI paid-up member to qualify for this prize.
- The announcement of the 2018 David Dunn Medal Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Thursday 6 December.
- Those selected for oral presentation will automatically have their papers published in a supplement to the Surgical Endoscopy Journal.
- For the second placed oral presentation, Journal of Surgical Simulation will award a £250 publication voucher to cover the cost of publication if the work is submitted as a full length article to Journal of Surgical Simulation, or a cash prize of £100 if the article is not suitable for JSS, or there is an arrangement to publish elsewhere. The winner must be a paid-up member of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize. Click here for submission instructions
- The presenters of the top eight Short Papers will be awarded prizes supported by the ALSGBI Trainee 2018 Scheme and ALSGBI Industry Partners of £150 each. The presenters must be ALSGBI paid-up trainee members to qualify for these prizes.
POSTER EXHIBITION & PRESENTATIONS:
The poster exhibition will take place from 08:30 on Wednesday 5 to 14:30 Thursday 6 December. All posters will be judged on Wednesday 5 December (between 12:30 – 14:00) when the presenting author MUST be in attendance by the TV monitors.
- The author of the top two posters will be expected to give a 5 minute oral presentation at 09:55 on Thursday 6 December. The results will be announced during the Wednesday Scientific Programme and will also be available from 15:00 at the Registration & Enquiries Desk.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic poster will be awarded a cheque for £150. The announcement of the 2018 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Thursday 6 December. The winner must be a fully paid-up member of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
Please ensure you submit an abstract online. This year your DVD must be submitted online, you will need to:
1) Obtain a compressed copy of the DVD in MPEG/MPG/MKV format
2) Go to the WeTransfer website at: https://wetransfer.com/
3) Upload the Video file
4) Enter the email address firstname.lastname@example.org to send the video files to.
5) Enter your email to send a notification
6) Enter a message that details what video file you are sending
- DVDs should be a total of 5 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion.
- Only in-house productions will be accepted and ‘voiceover’ is compulsory.
- DVDs that have been short-listed for the 2018 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize will be presented in the DVD Session on Thursday 5 December.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic DVD will be awarded a cheque for £250. The announcement of the 2018 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Thursday 6 December. The winner must be fully paid-up members of the ALSGBI to qualify for this prize.
- You will be notified before Monday 15 October if your abstract has been successful.
AUDIO VISUAL INFORMATION:
All presentations must be compiled using PowerPoint and an advance copy should be forwarded to email@example.com by Tuesday 27 November. Presentations must also be brought to the conference on a disk, USB stick or laptop.
All Presenters of papers, DVDs and posters must register for the conference by 27 November.
Contact us via
Tel: +44 (0)20 7869 6941
Tel: +44 (0)20 7869 6940