ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & AWARDS
Abstracts are invited from surgeons, laparoscopic theatre staff and industry. The ALSGBI operates a paperless electronic abstract submission through Oxford Abstracts. Submission of previously accepted/presented work also welcomed.
To submit an abstract please click on the button below
Submission CLOSED at midnight on Sunday 25th September 2016.Abstract Book of accepted abstracts - click here
- Abstracts must consist of 5 paragraphs, making a total of 250 words maximum:
- Aims (50 words max)
- Methods (50 words max)
- Results (50 words max)
- Conclusion (50 words max)
- Key Statement (50 words max)
- Abstracts are to be submitted as text and tables ONLY (ie no figures, graphs or diagrams).
- The text must fit within the abstract template and use the Arial font in size 11.
- No more than 5 authors should be listed.
- The abstract is marked anonymously so the text should not refer to any institutional affiliation.
- An abstract must be submitted online in order to be considered for oral presentation, a poster or DVD.
- If you wish your abstract to be considered for poster presentation you must provide a pdf of your poster by Friday 4 November otherwise it will NOT be eligible for the 2016 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize.
- You will be notified before Monday 10 October if your abstract has been successful.
- Papers should be a total of 7 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion afterwards.
- The winner of the best oral abstract will be presented with the 2016 David Dunn Medal and a cheque for £600 generously sponsored by the British Journal of Surgery (BJS).
- The announcement of the 2016 David Dunn Medal Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 15:35 on Friday 11 November.
- Those selected for oral presentation will automatically have their papers published in a supplement to the Surgical Endoscopy Journal.
- The presenters of the top ten Short Papers will be awarded prizes supported by the ALSGBI Trainee 2016 Scheme and ALSGBI Industry Partners. The presenters must be trainees to qualify for these prizes.
POSTER EXHIBITION & PRESENTATIONS:
The poster exhibition will take place from 08:30 on Thursday 10 to 14:30 Friday 11 November.
- The maximum area available for each poster will be 945mm wide x 2000mm long (portrait style).
- Posters must be attached securely to the display boards with Velcro, which will be provided. Pins, nails or other methods of adhesion must not be used.
- A generous discount has been negotiated with Scienceposters on fabric printing for the 2016 meeting, including delivery to the conference centre.
- All posters will be judged on Thursday 10 November (between 12:00 – 14:00), when the presenting authors MUST be in attendance by their posters.
- The authors of the top two posters will be expected to give a 5 minute oral presentation at 10:05 on Friday 11 November. The results will be announced during the Thursday Scientific Programme and will also be available from 15:00 at the Registration & Enquiries Desk.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic poster will be awarded a cheque for £150. The announcement of the 2015 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 15:35 on Friday 11 November.
Please ensure you submit an abstract online and send 5 clearly marked copies of the DVD (citing your abstract number) to:
Mrs Jennifer Treglohan
ALSGBI @ The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Room 505, 5th Floor, 35–43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PE
- DVDs should arrive no later than 25 September.
- DVDs should be a total of 5 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion.
- Only in-house productions will be accepted and ‘voiceover’ is compulsory.
- DVDs that have been short-listed for the 2016 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize will be presented in the DVD Session on Friday 11 November.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic DVD will be awarded a cheque for £250. The announcement of the 2016 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 15:35 on Friday 11 November.
- You will be notified before Monday 10 October if your abstract has been successful. DVDs should arrive no later than 25 September.
AUDIO VISUAL INFORMATION:
All presentations must be compiled using PowerPoint and an advance copy should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4 November. Presentations must also be brought to the conference on a disk, USB stick or laptop.
All Presenters of papers, DVDs and posters must register for the conference by 17 October.