ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & AWARDS
Abstracts are invited from surgeons, laparoscopic theatre staff and industry. The ALSGBI operates a paperless electronic abstract submission through Oxford Abstracts. Submission of previously accepted/presented work also welcomed.
To submit an abstract please click on the button below
Submission CLOSED at midnight on Sunday 17th September 2017.Abstract Book of accepted abstracts - click here
Abstract regulations (download pdf)
- On-line abstract submission is now open and will close at midnight on Sunday 17 September.
- You will be notified by Monday 2 October if your abstract has been successful.
- Submission of previously accepted/presented work also welcomed.
- Abstracts must consist of 5 paragraphs, making a total of 250 words maximum:
- Aims (50 words max)
- Methods (50 words max)
- Results (50 words max)
- Conclusion (50 words max)
- Key Statement (50 words max)
- Abstracts are to be submitted as text and tables ONLY (ie no figures, graphs or diagrams).
- The text must fit within the abstract template and use the Arial font in size 11.
- No more than 5 authors should be listed.
- The abstract is marked anonymously so the text should not refer to any institutional affiliation.
- An abstract must be submitted online in order to be considered for oral presentation, a poster or DVD.
- If you wish your abstract to be considered for poster presentation you must provide a pdf of your poster by Friday 3 November otherwise it will NOT be eligible for the 2017 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize.
- Papers should be a total of 7 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion afterwards.
- The winner of the best oral abstract will be presented with the 2017 David Dunn Medal and a cheque for £600 generously sponsored by the British Journal of Surgery (BJS).
- The announcement of the 2017 David Dunn Medal Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Friday 10 November.
- Those selected for oral presentation will automatically have their papers published in a supplement to the Surgical Endoscopy Journal.
- For the second placed oral presentation, Journal of Surgical Simulation will award a £250 publication voucher to cover the cost of publication if the work is submitted as a full length article to Journal of Surgical Simulation, or a cash prize of £100 if the article is not suitable for JSS, or there is an arrangement to publish elsewhere.
- The presenters of the top eight Short Papers will be awarded prizes supported by the ALSGBI Trainee 2017 Scheme and ALSGBI Industry Partners of £200 each. The presenters must be trainees to qualify for these prizes.
POSTER EXHIBITION & PRESENTATIONS:
The poster exhibition will take place from 08:30 on Thursday 9 to 14:30 Friday 10 November.
- The maximum area available for each poster will be 945mm wide x 2000mm long (portrait style).
- Posters must be attached securely to the display boards with Velcro, which will be provided. Pins, nails or other methods of adhesion must not be used.
- A generous discount has been negotiated with Scienceposters on fabric printing for the 2017 meeting, including delivery to the conference centre.
- All posters will be judged on Thursday 9 November (between 12:00 – 14:00), when the presenting authors MUST be in attendance by their posters.
- The authors of the top two posters will be expected to give a 5 minute oral presentation at 10:03 on Friday 10 November. The results will be announced during the Thursday Scientific Programme and will also be available from 15:00 at the Registration & Enquiries Desk.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic poster will be awarded a cheque for £150. The announcement of the 2017 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic Poster Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Friday 10 November.
Please ensure you submit an abstract online and send 5 clearly marked copies of the DVD (citing your abstract number) to:
Mrs Jennifer Treglohan
ALSGBI @ The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Room 505, 5th Floor, 35–43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PE
- DVDs should arrive no later than Friday 17 September.
- DVDs should be a total of 5 minutes duration with 3 minutes for discussion.
- Only in-house productions will be accepted and ‘voiceover’ is compulsory.
- DVDs that have been short-listed for the 2017 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize will be presented in the DVD Session on Friday 10 November.
- The presenter of the best laparoscopic DVD will be awarded a cheque for £250. The announcement of the 2017 ALSGBI Best Laparoscopic DVD Prize winner will be made during the ALSGBI Awards Ceremony at 16:10 on Friday 10 November.
- You will be notified before Monday 2 October if your abstract has been successful. DVDs should arrive no later than 17 September.
AUDIO VISUAL INFORMATION:
All presentations must be compiled using PowerPoint and an advance copy should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 3 November. Presentations must also be brought to the conference on a disk, USB stick or laptop.
All Presenters of papers, DVDs and posters must register for the conference by 30 October.